Saturday, July 23, 2005

Keeping the faith

I had a very frustrating talk with my shrink the other day.

"I know a lot of jerks who are NOT nice people and yet they have still managed to get married and live happily ever after. I don't understand that. It's not fair! I'm attractive, I'm fun, I date regularly. Why is it so hard for me to find Mr. Right?"

"Lisa, you don't have to be a nice person in order to get married," said the wise psychiatrist, "In fact, a lot of not so nice people find their mates every day."

*GASP* Then what the heck have I been doing all this time? Did someone change the rule book and not tell me? WTF is going on here?

"Alex, I would like to buy a clue for two hundred please."

So, let me get this straight. Being a nice person doesn't matter? The fact that I'm a loyal friend, a good daughter, a loving and responsible pet owner, a decent human being, and add the fact I give elderly people my seat on buses and trains counts for naught?? Apparently not. Damn it!

Well, I guess my consolation prize is knowing I am indeed a nice person. And I am reasonably sure I have some pretty good karma banked - Woo Freaking Hoo. But I understand now that the the sterling qualities I possess are not necessarily required skills to live happily ever after with said husband. Wow, now THAT sucks.

Maybe being a not so nice person is the way to go then? Hmmm. Maybe I should be disrespectful, treat people badly, be thoughtless, behave selfishly and just live in my own zone. Screw the world!

Nah.

So, I guess then I will just live my life. Have fun. Stop and smell the roses. Drink good wine. Try new things. Laugh at bad puns. Eat yummy desserts, (on occasion :-)) And I'm just going to trust that when it is meant to be it will happen. And that the wonderful man I want will suddenly just be there. Like he had been there all along. And hopefully he will have been waiting for me too.

I just got to keep the faith...

Links

The House of Boogie The Water Princess World of Trouble Mrs. Mogul Botox Diaries Drunk Law Waiter Rant True Jersey Girl Last Girl On Earth Its a Dogs Life Reality Bites The World According to Tish Clublife The Phat Phree Opinionistas The Life Of Marty Leave It To Cleavage Boo's Blog Wade's World Mini-Obs The Sneaky Badger The Life and Times of TJ