Navigating Fame
Having worked in show business for many years, I am very familiar with the rise and fall of famous people. I have worked with a lot of big name celebrities and a few you may not have heard of. Some were charming, some were jerks. Often the more famous ones were nicer because they no longer had anything to prove. They had MADE IT. Another subject for another time. I have been thinking about people on the rise, who are just beginning to achieve recognition. Specifically civilians i.e. "real people" who are not in the industry.
I lived in LA for many years where EVERYONE wanted to be in show business. Every valet parker and limo driver had a screenplay. The waiter was an aspiring actor/model. The manicurist was "in between" gigs. When I first moved to LA a friend recommended a hair colorist to me. I went to see him and he did a great job. He took pride in his work and was also a very down to earth, sweet guy. I stayed with him for many years. At some point, maybe around year two, he got written up in a "Best of LA" type magazine. Said color guy was thrilled and we were all thrilled for him. It was a big deal and all his customers were happy for him. More recognition followed, then tv, magazine columns etc.. It was truly wonderful to watch him achieve his dreams. He got a publicist and then things really skyrocketed. It was awesome! Suddenly hair color guy started to get a bit full of himself. He became less interested in his customers and friends. It was all about getting more famous and what's more STAYING THERE. His celebrity became a full time deal. The people who had supported him and cheered him on were no longer necessary. They were of no help to him, they were the "little people." ICK.
This man is not unique. There are hundreds of these kinds of people who achieve recognition and suddenly become a pretentious windbag. And it's not just the men either. Women are certainly in the mix. I know how easily this can happen. I have been nominated for an award in my industry and have "done" the red carpet thing. I understand how it can take over your life. The trick is to achieve your goals and stay true to who you are. Not an easy task but definitely worth it in the long run. Cause fame is fleeting. It doesn't last and even if it does there is always going to be some new "IT" guy or girl to take your place. It's a good thing to remember.

<< Home