Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Wading through the BS

Lots of BS out there. Pretentious people can drive me crazy. This little trait of mine gets me in trouble sometimes. I'm a pretty down to earth woman. While I can be as pretentious as anyone I choose not to live there. WAYYY too much effort. Don't get me wrong I do love nice things. It's great to have orchestra seats to a hot Broadway show or go to some trendster restaurant. I can spot quality a mile away, (and inevitably always pick the most expensive shoes in the store without seeing the price tag first. I rarely buy them but it's nice to know I KNOW which ones they are.) I just have an innate ability to see through the stuff people throw out there and see what they are not saying. I spent 11 years working in the tv/film industry in L.A., the pretentious bullshit capital of the world. I do still love it though - it's fun!

I inherited this trait from my father. Dad loved nothing better than to listen to some pretentious windbag and then ultimately stick a pin in his balloon. He got away with it cause he was handsome, charming and funny, and the guy who was made to look ridiculous always thought Dad was kidding. Trust me, he wasn't! I can do that as well but with less success sometimes. I think it's easier for a man to get away with that, (already ducking, anticipating comments from irate feminists.)

Last weekend I was interested in buying a dresser. I was negotiating with the son of the owner and the deal was not what I hoped, (dresser was already marked down half price so it was a longshot but I had to try :-)) My friend and I walked away and came back later. This time we spoke to the father but alas no better deal. I bought the dresser, we were chatting and it comes out I work in the tv biz. The father and son were both there at that point. Father suddenly becomes my new best friend talking about how his son is an intern in the biz and looking for more oppportunities. At that point, my evil nature bubbled to the surface and I said "Well, if you had given me a better deal maybe we could have worked something out." And I LAUGHED. Father and son's face fell but they also laughed as they were not sure if I was kidding, (trust me, I wasn't!) My buddy was trying not to laugh his ass off. As my friend Kaia says, "MEOW."

Links

The House of Boogie The Water Princess World of Trouble Mrs. Mogul Botox Diaries Drunk Law Waiter Rant True Jersey Girl Last Girl On Earth Its a Dogs Life Reality Bites The World According to Tish Clublife The Phat Phree Opinionistas The Life Of Marty Leave It To Cleavage Boo's Blog Wade's World Mini-Obs The Sneaky Badger The Life and Times of TJ