Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Orleans will be back

Like everyone else, I am devastated by the footage and pictures coming from New Orleans. It makes my heart hurt. Hurricane Katrina with its 145 mile per hour winds and water has wreaked havoc through one of my favorite cities. It is such a desperate situation for the people who live there and I cannot fathom being in their position. Imagine having a home filled with your beloved keepsakes and things you have accumulated over the years and suddenly just having what's on your back and what you can frantically carry out of your home. If indeed you are even that lucky! I want to do whatever I can to help and I'm sure everyone out there feels the same. There for the grace of God go I...

I have such lovely memories of various trips to New Orleans over the years. Singing and dancing at a gospel brunch at The Praline Connection. Drinking hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's and partying the rest of the night in the French Quarter. Ending more than a few late nights at Cafe Du Monde eating beignets. Meeting one of the loves of my life there. Mardi Gras. Having my palm read in Jackson Square and EVERYTHING he said came true. And dozens more wonderful memories.

New Orleans will rebuild. Because it must. It's one of the most amazing cities in the world with some of the nicest people ever. Their southern spirit is strong and I know they will overcome this devastation. They may be somewhat battered but they will be back. New Orleans will rise again.

Links

The House of Boogie The Water Princess World of Trouble Mrs. Mogul Botox Diaries Drunk Law Waiter Rant True Jersey Girl Last Girl On Earth Its a Dogs Life Reality Bites The World According to Tish Clublife The Phat Phree Opinionistas The Life Of Marty Leave It To Cleavage Boo's Blog Wade's World Mini-Obs The Sneaky Badger The Life and Times of TJ